Babatunde Asaolu- A Good Man Down! by Segun Showunmi.

 


It is numbing when the reality of how a past master has told us how the angel of death seizes a soul at the point of death. 


Oh, the grim ripper took Tunde Asaolu, yesterday. Gosh, I spoke to Tunde at 4:31 pm, informing him that I left a birthday greeting for him on his ogas (sen Bukola Saraki) handle. 


I told him I would fly into Abuja tomorrow, and  would see him immediately. I was at the 50th birthday party of Nollywood Diva Fathia Balogun Williams, and within 4hrs while trying to leave the party, news came that Tunde, my man was dead. 

Not ill, not unconscious, dead! 


No, it cannot be true. I called two close aids of Sen Bukola Saraki, for I knew they must know the truth or do I say the lie I was telling myself. Wow, one after the other, the word was the same, egbon sir, Tunde is dead. 


I asked every unnecessary question that led to only one answer, an answer I know, should know and ought to know, it doesn’t matter, for Tunde Asaolu is dead. 


I screamed and screamed, so he would sleep in the morgue within 4 hrs or less of a healthy conversation that was full of hope. 


I couldn’t sleep well. I worried about his father, whom I know he has been managing as a result of old age, alas the wet tree had died while the dry one was still standing, talk about youthfulness, hmmm Tunde was 47. 


I thought about his wife and children, I thought about the team he belongs to, “the Saraki group”. 


I thought about the Kaduna family, yes Kaduna is like that, everyone operates like a family, that’s something unique about Kaduna at least the Kaduna of then. I don’t know how that is holding up. 


I thought about the advertising practitioners council. 

No, it is so hard to accept that death which is the necessary end of all mortals has come for Tunde 24hrs after his birthday. 


What a character, what a good man, what an easy to get along with guy. Tunde was my man, he loved and respected me, I hold him in the same way. 


We both share the view that as members of the shared humanity we cannot allow politics to get in our way, and it did not. 


I am happy about the moments and memories we shared. 


Our long sessions on the best way forward for country and party. 


I am so heartbroken, I must pull myself up for I can only imagine how his dad feels. How unreal this must feel for his wife and children. 

Tunde Asaolu sleeps in power bro. Heaven has gained and we have lost. 


May your gallant soul Rest In Peace. 

Death where is your sting!

No comments