There is Still Hope In Nigeria, Babatunde Wrote From Canada


Today, I live in Canada with my wife and two lovely kids. I have friends that are concerned about Nigeria, many thoughts that the country Nigeria cannot be salvaged from its oppressors, but I hold a different view, maybe because of my story, maybe because of my encounter, and perhaps, maybe because I have benefited from a working system.
Below is my story:

My name is Babatunde Olufemi, I lost my father when I was in Primary 5, he was a NIPOST staff, being a junior staff. The gratuity cannot guarantee much for his immediate family.

My mother managed to set up a small business, with that we can cater for food and little change needed in School.

When I got to SS1, yes, it was my first week in SS1, my mother called me that day as I returned from School and told me that she is sorry, I would have to stop my education in SS 1,  some reasons were, my new level was too expensive, and the principal of the excuse was there is no point wasting my time when she cannot afford my WAEC fee, right there, I told her Maami, when we get to the bridge, we shall cross  it.

I never knew how it will happen, but I was sure I can't stop my education halfway.

My mother in order not to discourage me buried her fear and told me, before then God will do it 'Oko mi mo fe gbo ero okan re ni'(meaning:my husband, I sampled your opinion just to know your intentions).

As time goes bye, that little boy got to SS 3, then it was evident that my mother was right from the start, no hope, ho one to help, all efforts to reach out to my late Dad's friends, family and colleagues failed, I decided to do menial jobs because I must complete this that have started.

The easiest thing one can do is to pack sand in the river, my first day at work showed that if I continue, I will certainly not survive the pain, so, I decided to quit.

At this juncture, I have decided that I will inform my mum that I will learn furniture making, but God came in a miraculous way.

Ade was my class mate and friend, his father was working with Ministry of Information as a driver, it was after I returned from the field where I went to play football that Ade came visiting, as I watched him approaching I saw him smiling, I thought, he was smiling because  the lady he told me he was pursuing has finally agreed, but when he got to where I was, he stretched his hand towards me and handed a paper to me, I folded it and put in my pocket, he said ode (moron) won't ope it and read, it was then that I realized that have acted foolishly.

I brought out the later, it was a circular that the State Government henceforth, shall bear WAEC fees, that moment, I almost lost my breadth.

It was this singular act of kindness of the government that saw me through Secondary School, it was that gesture that gave my life purposeful existence.

This is why, I always discourage my friends in the Diaspora like me not to write off Nigeria, if governmental policy could helped me in my state of hopelessness, then it is not totally over, there are still few good politicians who will restore the glorious days of our great Nation.

Nigeria is a great Giant, and that it will be forever.

Ever since I left Nigeria Six years ago, I have not been priviledged to appreciate my benefactor whose policies helped me become who I am today, if social media will help in spreading this note of appreciation, let it be passed to His Excellency Otunba Gbenga Daniel, the man who paid for my WAEC without knowing or seeing me, he is the Father, I am not priviledge to meet.

Thank you for making me a proud son of my mother.
Babatunde Olufemi.

1 comment:

  1. This is great otunba gbenga Daniel may God bless you more I've name more that five kids Daniel bcs I love OGD

    ReplyDelete