I have Clear Ideas on how to Move Ogun State Forward.....GNI



Prince Gboyega Nasir Isiaka, popularly referred to as GNI, in
this interview with WOLE EFUNNUGA, OSUNBAYO OLADIMEJI
AND TUNJI AKISANYA speaks on life at 56, his political
mission and other issues. Excerpts :

Qus: How would you describe life at 56?

Ans: I will say, without hesitation that life has been fair to me and
really, I only have to appreciate my creator for how far He has
brought me. As it is common to all men, life will present to
you measures of the good, the bad and the ugly, but it is how
you rise up to the challenges that come your way that will
determine what becomes your fate eventually. So for me, I
have had my fair share of life challenges and at this juncture, I
have a good story to tell, despite my humble beginnings.

Qus: Specifically, has life been fair to you in terms of your family,
career, health, politics and so on?

Ans: Well, a philosopher once said that the secrets of men are in
their stories; and for me, I have come a long way and have
many stories to tell. I come from a humble background,
growing up in Imeko, where I spent the first sixteen years of
my life before venturing out to pursue higher education. Those
periods had its peculiar challenges but I was focused on the
future I desired; and that was enough motivation for me. Also,
going to the ‘Great Ife’, now Obafemi Awolowo University,
presented a lot of challenges in terms of the new environment,
academic rigour and needed support structure which was not
readily available; but in the end, I came out with top honours
through focus and determination.
This became the foundation for subsequent academic
attainments and a career path that traversed the banking
sector, stockbroking and Investment management at both
private and public sector levels. I am also involved in politics
and I am still very active in it. In all of these, it wasn’t easy, as
they say, but I took what life threw at me and made the best
of scarce opportunities. I have enjoyed very good health and
have the benefit of a good, stable and supportive family,
especially my wife who is always left with me when the
children would have gone to their respective endeavours. For
these two specifically, I thank God.

Qus: In all that you have just said, would you see yourself as a
fulfilled man at 56 and in which areas are you still expecting
fulfilment?

Ans: Far from it that I will claim fulfilment at this point in my life.
There are lots of goals to achieve, many projects to pursue
and many values I desire to add in order to leave my
generation better than I met it. Of course too, I have a lot to
still learn and knowledge to acquire for personal and societal
benefit. Without delving into many specifics, I would say that
my further life objectives are in two broad areas – personal
goals and public goals. Personal goals will mean getting more
academic garlands (like Chief Obasanjo who just became a
Doctor at over 80 years), expanding my businesses to
uncharted territories and seeing my children do well in their
careers and raise good families. Public goals will mean that I
am able to use the platform of politics to effect positive
change in society and add value to the lives of as many
people as I possibly can. It is until I am able to see all these
happen that I may begin to claim fulfilment. However, I am
glad with what I have achieved but I still have a lot to do.

Qus: Talking of one of your life goals, you have aspired on two
occasions to govern Ogun State. Is the ambition still there or
over?

Ans: Oh, the desire is still very much there and Iet me say, without
mincing words that I am contesting a third time; and it is to
win this time around. If your medium has followed my recent
activities, you will realize that I and my team have not relented
but we are daily driven with a vision and passion to bring to
reality, our ultimate desire to make life more abundant and
enhance the social and economic welfare of Ogun citizens. I
am constantly on the move, interacting with the electorate,
building needed networks and partnerships and selling my
brand and ideas to the populace. Having contested twice, it
brings a recall and probably some empathy in the mind of the
electorate and added to all that I am currently doing, victory is
in sight come 2019.

Qus: You are from Yewa, a zone believed to be a minority and
where gubernatorial aspirants over the years refused to agree
a common front. Will this perception not stand as a brick wall
to your aspiration this time?

Ans: Firstly, I think the tag of minority and the often trumpeted
issue of disunity among Yewa-Awori People is most
unfortunate. I really will not go into the fallacy of these
assumptions but I must say that it is not true. Ogun State is
built on four divisions, Remo, Ijebu, Yewa-Awori and Egba; all
making the three senatorial districts. Each division have its
unique strength and character; and they all complememt each
other to make a viable State. The simple way to test the
fallacy is to extricate Yewa-Awori west from the current map
and you will see the state substantiallyreduced in terms of
land, commerce, agriculture, mineral resources and
industrialization. I believe that the reference to minority has to
do with the zone not having produced a governor and I think
that will change by next year. Secondly, Yewa-Awori people
are always united but the variables that conspire to determine
the gubernatorial destination have not been favourable to us,
but I think they will add up in favour of Yewa-Awori this time
around.
The aspirants are now talking and a united front will be
achieved this time. Besides, I am not contesting on the theme
of a particular zone. I am a pan-Ogun State aspirant and I
represent the interest of all deprived Ogun people who desire
a better life via good, responsible, responsive and people-
centred governance. Therefore, the Yewa-Awori identity is not
an obstacle but an advantage; among other positive factors.

Qus: Among other aspirants in the state, what qualities do you
think stands you out?

Ans: A number of things stand me out which are basically about my
brand. First, I have contested twice and over the years
demonstrated via my manifestos that I have clear ideas on
how to move ogun state forward and this is no longer in
doubt. Secondly, the people have also in these years observed
my antecedents and have defined me by intelligence,
character, integrity, humility and demonstrable capacity for the
job at hand. Thirdly, I have been here all my life and
understand the needs of the people, having been to every
corner of Ogun State in no less than three occasions; and this
is really significant. More importantly, there is a new paradigm
in tranformational leadership which the people now crave for
and I believe I represent and embody the hope of the masses.
All these stand me out and will give me the edge next year.

Qus: If you emerge as the governor of the state, what would be
your take on the issue of cattle colony for all states of the
federation as being proposed by the federal government?

Ans: I do not subscribe to cattle colonies because of the
unpleasant potentials that is inherent in such a policy. I, as the
Chief Executive of Ogun State, will advocate ranching in
preference to grazing reserves or colonies. We have to
recognize that we have an unusual herding situation on our
hands, which now borders on outright terrorism. The level of
human carnage in the name of itinerant cattle business is
unacceptable and one of the ways to curb it is to limit the
movements of these herdsmen. Let them stay in unitary
locations and bring in the food for the cows; after after all, it
is private business. It is also instructive to note that the
Federal Government is in no position to prescribe a one-fit-all
solution for the country. Each state, being independent units
should look for solution that are peculiar to it and take full
responsibility to protect locals and the herdsmen alike, within
the purview of extant laws. This challenge is one of the things
that restructuring will address.

Qus: Recently there have been letters from elder statesmen asking
President Muhammadu Buhari not to seek re-election in 2019
just as there is an ongoing political realignment among
gladiators. How would you react to this?

Ans: Well, the letters are personal admonition from elders to
another elder and it is within their rights to do so, for which no
one can begrudge them. It is also within the inalienable right
of Mr President to decide whether to contest or not, even
though he is constitutionally eligible to do so. He will decide
that at the right time with his team and party. For those of us
watching the trend and for Nigerians in general, it is for us to
look at the content of these messages and see where there
can be hope for this country. It is not in doubt that governance
is alarmingly ineffective and the political system is broken at
the moment. The economy is unproductive, corruption is rife
and insecurity is prevalent. To these extents, a new political
system is needed to rescue Nigeria from the precipice and it
is only normal that alignments of positive forces would happen
to bring about the new order. We now hear of movements and
coalitions to save Nigeria. It is the right way to go as the
people deserve better from elected leaders and if those in
authority are making a mess of governance, the people must
rise up to confront the status quo and chart a new path
towards sustainable socioeconomic and human development.
This is in line with the objectives of The Believe Movement
(TBM), which is a sociopolitical mass movement based in
Ogun State which I have championed for about two years
since its official launch in December 2016.

I and my team saw the failure of the current system both in
Ogun State and nationally; we then put up a mass movement
that is predicated on civic enlightenment and values
orientation around patriotism, integrity, community
development, delayed gratification, shared prosperity and
good governance. That there is now an emerging national
consensus towards mass movement as the way forward, is a
vindication of the rightfulness of what we have seen and been
doing for a while with our own movement in Ogun State.

No comments